Published Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- DeGroote JP, Larson SR, Zhang Y, Sugumaran R. 2012. Application of geospatial technologies for understanding and predicting vector populations and vector-borne disease incidence. Geography Compass 6(11): 645-659.
- DeGroote JP, Sugumaran R. 2012. National and regional associations between human West Nile virus incidence and demographic, landscape, and land use conditions in the coterminous United States. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 12(8): 657-665.
- Oryspayev D, Sugumaran R, DeGroote J. Development and application of a spreadsheet-based Spatial Decision Support System (SDSS). International Journal of Decision Support Technology 3:1-14.
- Oryspayev D, Sugumaran R, DeGroote J, Gray P. 2011. LiDAR data reduction using vertex decimation and processing with WPGPU and multicore CPU technology. Computers and Geoscience.
- Nielsen, C., Oberle, A., and Sugumaran, R. 2011. Implementing a High School Level Geospatial Technologies and Spatial Thinking Course. Journal of Geography, 110, (2), pp. 60-69.
- Larson, S.R., Sugumaran, R., DeGroote, J.P., and Bartholomay, L.C. 2010. Ecological niche modeling of potential West Nile virus vector mosquito species in Iowa, Journal of Insect Science, 10, pg. 1-16.
- Sugumaran, R., Larson, S.R, DeGroote, J.P. 2009. Spatio-temporal clustering analysis of county-based human West Nile virus incidence in the continental United States. International Journal of Health Geographic, 8(43), doi:10.1186/1476-072X-8-43.
- Petrov, A., and Sugumaran, R. 2009. Quantifying Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Agricultural Landscapes in Iowa Using Remotely Sensed Data and Landscape Metrics. Geocarto, 24(3), pp. 223 - 240.
- Zhang Y, Sugumaran R, DeGroote J, Wolter C. 2009. Integration of Modified Universal Soil Loss Equation (MUSLE) into a GIS framework to assess soil erosion risk. Land Degradation and Development 20: 84-91.
- Zhang, Y., Barten, P.K., Sugumaran, R. & DeGroote, J. 2008. Evaluating forest harvesting to reduce its hydrologic impact with a spatial decision support system, Applied GIS, 4(1): 1-16.
- Voss, M. and Sugumaran, R., 2008. Seasonal effect on tree species classi cation in an urban environment using hyperspectral data, LiDAR and an object-oriented approach. Sensors (8) 3020-3036.
- DeGroote, J.P., Sugumaran R., Brend S.M., Tucker, B.J., Bartholomay, L.C. 2008. Landscape, demographic, entomological, and climatic associations with human incidence of West Nile virus in the state of Iowa, USA. International Journal of Health Geographics, 7(9).
- Savelyev, A. and Sugumaran, R. 2008. Surface temperature mapping of the University of Northern Iowa campus using high resolution thermal infrared aerial imageries. Sensors 8(8) 5055-5068.
- Petrov, A., and Sugumaran, R. Quantifying Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Agricultural Landscapes in Iowa Using Remotely Sensed Data and Landscape Metrics. GeoCarto, 24(3): pp. 223-240.
- Zhang, Y., Barten, P.K., Sugumaran, R. & DeGroote, J. 2008. – Evaluating forest harvesting to reduce its hydrologic impact with a spatial decision support system, Applied GIS, 4(1): 1-16.
- Sugumaran, R., Green, N., and Clayton, M. 2007. Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Water Quality in Iowa lakes using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing data, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, Vol.1, pp. 013533-13645.
- DeGroote, J., Mercer, D.R., Fisher, J., and Sugumaran, R. 2007. Spatio-temporal Investigation of Adult Mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) Populations in an Eastern Iowa County, USA. Journal of Medical Entomology, Vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1139-1150.
- Sugumaran, V., and Sugumaran, V., 2007, Spatial Decision Support Systems: Evolution, Architecture, and Challenges, Journal of Communications of Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Vol. 19, Article 40.
- Petrov, A., and Sugumaran, R. 2005. Monitoring and Modeling Farmland Loss in Rapidly Growing Urban and Depopulating Rural Counties of Iowa Using Remotely Sensed Data and GIS. Geocarto, Vol. 20(4): pp. 45-52.
- Sugumaran R, DeGroote JP. Spatial Decision Support Systems: Principles and Practices. 2010. CRC Press.
- Voss, M., Sugumaran, R., and Ershov, D., 2010. A Web-based tool for remote sensing software evaluation, Manual of Geospatial Sciences and Technology, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, pp 391-402.
- Sugumaran, R., Meyer, J., and Davis, J. 2009. A Web-Based Environmental Decision Support System (WEDSS) for Environmental Planning and Watershed Management, the Handbook on Applied Spatial Analysis, pp 703-16..
- Sugumaran, R., Gerjevic, J., and Voss, M. 2007. Transportation infrastructure extraction from hyper-spectral remote sensing data using CART, SAM and object-oriented approaches, in Remote Sensing of Impervious Surfaces, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Bakker, B., and Sugumaran, R., 2006. GIS-Based Site Suitability Decision Support System for Planning Confined Animal Feeding Operations in Iowa, In Emerging Spatial Information Systems and Applications, Idea group publishing, 2006.
Published Conference Proceedings
- Sugumaran, R., Oryspayev, D., and Gray, P. 2011. GPU-based cloud performance for LiDAR data processing. COM.Geo 2011 : 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Computing for Geospatial Research and Applications, May 23–25, 2011, Wahington DC, USA. (Peer Reviewed).
- Larson, S., and Sugumaran, R., 2007. Discerning Mosquito Habitats for Predicting West Nile Virus Outbreaks in Iowa. URISA GIS in Public Health Conference, May 20-23, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Sugumaran, R., and Voss, M., 2007. Fusing Hyperspectral data with LiDAR for Identification of Tree Species in an Urban environment Using Object-Oriented Approach. Proceedings of Urban Remote Sensing Joint Event 2007, 11-13, April 2007, Paris, France.
- Sugumaran, R., and Peterson, M., 2006. A Web-based Agricultural Crop Condition and Yield Prediction Modeling System Using Near-Real-Time MODIS Data, Proceeding of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (IGARSS 06), CD-ROM publication, July 31 – August 4, Denver, Colorado, (Peer Reviewed).
- Sugumaran, R. 2011. Iowa LiDAR Mapping, March 25, 2011, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Sugumaran, R. 2011. West Nile Virus mapping and Modeling, April 17 25, 2011, Iowa Academy of Science, Graceland University, IA.
- Sugumaran, R. 2009. GeoTREE, May 14, 2009, St. Petersburg State University, Russia.
- Sugumaran, R. 2009. Research collaboration with local and state government agencies, UNI OSP conference, Feb. 14, Cedar Falls, Iowa.
- Sugumaran, R. 2008. GeoTREE at UNI, "Earth from Space" exhibit (Smithsonian and UNI sponsored), March 27, Cedar Falls, Iowa.
- Sugumaran, R. 2008. GeoTREE Center and its applications, University of Iowa, 2008 Spring Colloquium Series, Feb. 10, Iowa City, Iowa.
- Sugumaran, R. 2007. Watershed Management Priority Indices (WMPI) tool. Watershed Assessment Workshop, September 10, Marshalltown, Iowa.
- Sugumaran, R., 2006. What is an Expert System?, LiDAR for Conservation Planning meeting, October 23th, Dubuque, Iowa
- Sugumaran R., and Degroote, J. 2006. Spatial and temporal data modeling to WNV incidence at local and state level. Iowa Environmental Health Association Conference, October 24 and 25, 2006, Marshalltown, IA.
- Sugumaran, R., 2006. GeoTREE, ICIT meeting, June 14 - 16, Mason City, Iowa.
- Sugumaran, R., GeoTREE, GIS day 2005, Hawkeye community college, Waterloo, October 24th, 2005.